Wednesday 23 March 2016

Game 70: Raptors at Celtics (Ireland Version)

I'M BACK!!!!!!! And ready to take in my first Raptors game in 2 weeks!! Toronto hasn't slowed down at all in my absence and are rolling into Boston (where I caught my connecting flights) to play the Celtics tonight


  • The Raptors went 7-2 while I was away with wins over Brooklyn, Atlanta, Miami, Milwaukee, Orlando, Indiana and Boston. They lost only to Houston and close one to Chicago.
  • Jason Thompson seems to have fit into a nice role on the Raptors' second unit. I'm eager to see him get minutes tonight
  • The Raptors have been sitting Jonas Valanciunas as he's been stricken with a hand injury. Better safe than sorry, we'll need the big man come playoff time.
  • Tonight Kyle Lowry could set a new franchise record of most made threes in a season. He owns the current record of 190 and he has 189 made 3's coming into tonight's game
  • James Johnson will likely miss tonight's game with a foot injury so Norman Powell will get the start. He's been filling in well and improving with each game.
  • The Celtics are without Jae Crowder because of a high ankle sprain. Other than that they will be at full strength. 
  • Boston is currently involved in the hyper-competitive Eastern Conference playoff race. Sitting 9.5 games back from 1st along with Atlanta and Charlotte. Anything can happen.
  • Watch for Dwane Casey doing his best to balance players and rotations when it comes to winning to giving important players (Lowry) some much needed rest
Tonight's Raptor Track(s)!!!

So tonight i'm going to be playing songs that had to do with my trip to Ireland and England, but that actually works out since Boston is the only Irish-infused team in the NBA!

The Pogues - "Dirty Old Town"

Though The Pogues are an English group, their brand of Celtic infused punk and folk have made them and their songs quite popular in Ireland. Their version of "Dirty Old Town" has become very popular there, in fact the first Irish pub we stumbled into had a local band playing this song for the patrons.


Thin Lizzy - "Jailbreak"

One of Ireland's greatest rock exports is Thin Lizzy. Again while stumbling around Dublin I came across the statue in honour of the late, great Phil Lynott.


Metallica - "Whiskey In The Jar"

"Whiskey In The Jar" is a traditional Irish drinking song with dubious and mysterious origins. Recorded and performed by numerous bands, Metallica's version is actually a cover of Thin Lizzy's version which hit back in the 70's and brought the song back into focus. This song remained in my head as we took a tour through the Cork and Kerry mountains


Coldplay - "Adventure Of A Lifetime"

Though not Irish I hadn't really heard this track until we were over there. It starts with a kind of celtic tinge to the opening riff so I thought it was an Irish group. I didn't have internet access so I couldn't just look up the lyrics, it wasn't until I got home that I discovered the song's identity


The Walls - "February's Gone"

Steve and Joe Wall form the core of this Irish Rock band formed in 1998. I'm still learning great things about them, so here's a song by them that I think you'll enjoy


Spirit Of The West - "Home For A Rest"

Again not an Irish band. They're Canadian and this song is about drinking in England. A line in the song refers to the band drinking in some bars on Charring Cross road. While we were making our way up to England's North country we stopped in to a bar on Charring Cross road for a pint. I had to. And I was ready for home after a couple weeks of drinking and traveling.


U2 - "I Will Follow"

Might seem a bit contrived and obvious to pick a  U2 song to finish off with, as arguably Ireland's biggest band. It might seem that way unless you were out drinking at a pub on Patty's Day and ran into the group's lead singer Bono, which I did. Boom.



No comments:

Post a Comment